Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Colorful Smoke Nail Art - aka Rainbow Hookah




Hi guys! I have some smoky colors for you today, aren't they gorgeous?! I really didn't want to ever take them off! This was a bit of trial and error for me and I practiced on some nail swatching disks for a while until I got it right. Well, let's get to it then!


What I used:

  • Black Polish
  • White Polish
  • Small paint brushes
  • Pink, Purple & Blue Permanent Markers
  • Rubbing Alcohol

Start with a black base, top coated and completely dry. You'll need the top coat or when you put the acetone on to smudge the white, the black will come up as well. I painted thin white 'lightning like' lines with white polish and used acetone to smudge it up a bit. You could also probably put some white polish on a plate and water it down with the acetone before painting it on but I didn't try that so I'm not sure how it would work out. I drew my design out on paper beforehand because I wanted the lines and colors to flow together and that takes a bit of planning. After the white was dry I used my 'homemade' alcohol inks to color it in, overlapping just a little where they meet up. I made my own alcohol inks by taking the tips out of permanent markers and putting them in little containers with screw on lids (you can find these at drug stores by the hair/beauty supply stuff) and soaking them in a bit of rubbing alcohol. Don't overdue it with the alcohol though, otherwise the colors will be very watered down. It's really pretty cool and there's so many things you can do with them too, I highly suggest playing around with them. I have found that a few of my 'fast dry' top coats like to bleach the colors of the ink, so watch out for that and maybe even test on something else before doing it on your actual nails.

Well, I hope you guys like them and again, if you have any questions or anything, just drop me a line =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment